Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Maine's Rocky Coast

by G. E. Shuman

(I jotted this down during my visit to the Rockland Maine breakwater last week.)

Salt sea scents
Calling birds
Slapping waves
All conjure words

Heightened senses
Soak up scenes
Foghorns echo
Distant dreams

Bouncing bouys
On floating foam
Clinging seaweed’s
Rocky home

Luffing sails
And clanging bells
Misty, rolling
Ocean swells

Swooping seabirds
Skim the sky
Wind-swept puffy
Clouds roll by

Distant islands
Fairly float
Just beyond
The white-sailed boats

Peaceful, place
Of sea smoke ghosts
Soothing souls,
Maine’s rocky coast

3 comments:

Rene Yoshi said...

I love it! I'm not sure why, but I especially like stanzas 3 and 5. I can envision the clinging seaweed on the rocks gently swaying with the water, as well as the swooping seabirds and puffy clouds.

KrisinVT said...

Love it. Makes me yearn for our Maine vacation upcoming in August. Can't wait to see just what I have envisioned by reading your poetry. Well-done George :)

G. E. Shuman said...

Thank you, Sweet Capture and Kristin.
You are both always so encouraging.

I love you guys.
George