Wednesday, June 30, 2010

My Favorite Place

By G. E. Shuman

As I write today I’m sitting on the ‘ocean’ side of my favorite place in the world. After picking up two of our grandkids in New Hampshire over the weekend, our family arrived this afternoon at the coast of Maine, and, for me, the peace and protection of the massive granite breakwater of Rockland harbor.

I know I’ve written about my love for this nearly mile-long stretch of sea-soaked granite before, and I guess I am simply doing that again. This place is just so special to me. It calls me back to visit nearly every summer, since the summers of my youth. Some of the reasons for this are very clear in my mind, and some not so clear. This place is certainly one with countless great memories for me, of camping and fishing trips with my family… and of chats with my Dad, among other things. Memories are certainly made more vivid by the senses, and oceans have a way of overflowing those senses. Sights, sounds, and scents combine easily in places like this. Salty air, softly beating waves, fog horns, and lonely seagulls calling through the mist cannot help but be remembered, here especially, somehow.
I mentioned earlier, almost absentmindedly, that I feel protection here. The harbor is certainly made safe from storms by this wide line of massive granite blocks stretching across most of its width, but am I? Truly, this is a favorite place of my childhood; of happy times unmarred by any harsh situations of life. It is a place not only of my, but even of my father’s childhood. Of sunny summer days when he and his aunt Marion would walk from home in downtown Rockland, and spend hours out here fishing for their supper. And then there were those later years, when our family would camp in the area. We would picnic here among the bouys and gulls, lobster boats and seaweed-covered stones, we kids casting for mackerel, and dropping lines between the breakwater rocks in search of rock bass and starfish.
This breakwater is a place that does not change, and that may be its ultimate protection, from the storms of life and of time, for me. The massive stones on which I sit and write have not shifted an inch since those old days of my youth. I know that every snagged hook, every wayward bobber I ever lost between these rocks is almost certainly still here. To me, every word spoken, and thought and laugh ever experienced in this place, is also still held here, somehow, just in a different time.
This very week I have another chance to share this lifelong memory-place with my children, and grandchildren. Hours pass like moments here for me, as I hope they will for them. Perhaps, someday, they too will be called to return to this place of bobbing bouys, of sun and salty mists, of slipping tides, white sails and soft sea sounds.
For me, to long for the sea is to long for the past. To sit by the sea is to search white-capped waves for signs of yesterday. As a child I could never have imagined being here, now, as now I remember being here then. I am so blessed. Everyone should have such a favorite place.

3 comments:

Rene Yoshi said...

I really like the feeling of continuity...reminiscing about childhood memories and of cultivating and passing on wonderful moments and a special place with your own children and grandchildren just as your father did before you. The beach and inlets are where my most cherished memories took place, too. While I didn't have the privilege of making those memories with my father because of divorce, my mother was friends to a childless couple who often took us to the beach. Mr. Martin taught us how to bait a hook, fish from the shore, catch blue crabs from a pier, and hand feed crackers to flying seagulls. *wistful sigh* You're a good man, George. I hope you catch a fish this year.

Unknown said...

This one brought tears as I share these same memories. Our memories may be a few years apart but hold the same love. They seem to always be stronger on holidays and by the ocean. We have truly been blessed to share in memories like this. The kids of today don't know what they're missing. We're blessed always to be a part of this family. Keep writing, George and keep these memories alive. Love you little brother, Jan

G. E. Shuman said...

A quick note,
My daughter, my granddaughter, my grandson and I all caught fish this year. It was a wonderful week! I wish all of my readers would walk that breakwater, at least once. Thanks for the comments. George