Wednesday, August 21, 2013

By Any Other Name


By G. E. Shuman

I think a lot of sounds of words;
Of why I like some I have heard.
And wonder from where those sounds came,
When calling something by a name.

William Shakespeare, Bard of old
Is often quoted, it is told,
That a red rose would smell the same
If called by any other name.

But I do doubt it, as I write
That dawn would sparkle, if called night.
That big blue oceans would be fond
Of someone calling them just ponds.

And what of names of babies, new?
While parents, pondering what to do,
Pronounce their new sweet daughter, 'Myrtle'...
A name best suited for a turtle.

Words frame feelings, I have found,
As through our brains they swirl around.
Nice names sound sweeter when we say them
And bring us joy when we display them.

Some just fit well; and show some wit.
While others make us cringe a bit
When tied to something that we ponder
As a rash choice, or thoughtless blunder.

Petunia, a pretty sound, somehow...
To call a flower, or even a sow.
It may be the name of your pet razor-back,
But then try it on a huge quarter-back.

And there are even names for food;
Business ones that set a mood
Joe's Spaghetti” may be pedantic,
But “Olive Garden” is more romantic.

Yes, old Shakespeare would shake his head
At my dispute of what he said.
That the red rose would smell the same
If called by any other name.

Still, I contend, our thoughts are rounded
And finished when a word is sounded.
If rose was known as squash or beet
Somehow, it wouldn't seem so sweet.



1 comment:

Rene Yoshi said...

I agree! Love it!!

Although people often say, I don't look like a René, even though it's worn by men, I love that it means "born again".

I think George fits you to a t. I also like your nickname g. The names of friends are set apart, because they're the closest to our heart.