Friday, November 18, 2011

A Rich Thanksgiving

By G. E. Shuman


There is a small wooden plaque on the wall in our kitchen.  The plaque was given to us several years ago, by our daughter, Cathy.  It simply reads: “We Are Rich With Priceless Grandchildren.”
As I remember, Cathy gave us that plaque at a time when my wife and I really needed such a reminder of our great wealth.  The position I held with my employer at the time had recently been eliminated, meaning that ‘I’ had recently been eliminated, and things were in a state of slight upheaval at our home.   I was on unemployment, for the first time in my life.  I was out of work, for the very first time since before my eighteenth birthday.  Until that terrible day of first unemployment, I had received a full-time paycheck, every single week, since President Nixon was in office.  I was quite proud of that record, which had just been tarnished by what I will always consider to be a very unscrupulous and unfair former employer.
The reminder of our wealth, painted on that slight stick of a sign, was much more, to my wife and me, than some sappy platitude or sentimental prose.  It was, and still is, a fact.  True wealth cannot be measured by something as fleeting and fluctuating as dollars.  After all, “you can’t take it with you,” we are told.  To my family, true wealth, and I mean REAL and true wealth, is weighed, measured and counted in the one valuable asset that we can take with us, and that asset IS us.  Heaven holds no dollars, but all of my kids and grandkids are saved, and already have homes there.
I was in the kitchen earlier today, glancing at that plaque, as it rests atop a collage of pictures of our grandkids.  We will all be together, this year, at Cathy’s home, on Thanksgiving Day.   I am looking forward to an afternoon of food and fun with my wonderful family.  Soon after dinner I will be pulled by my thumbs to a recliner, and will read many stories to the tiniest two or three of my family treasures.  I will thank God for them, and for the truth of that plaque at home on our kitchen wall.
I hope you have a rich Thanksgiving, too.

2 comments:

Rene Yoshi said...

What a blessing when we have the assurance from God's Word that we and our loved ones have a home in Heaven if we have trusted in His Son and received His gift of salvation! Children and grandchildren are treasured gifts indeed! Have a super blessed Thanksgiving my friend. :)

Unknown said...

Thanks Dad! We are all richly blessed by the incredible children we have-- and parents! See you Thursday!