Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Lost Nation Theater


By G. E. Shuman

I have a confession to make, and it’s an embarrassing one. Making confessions has never been easy for me, and this one makes me particularly un-easy. The confession is that, well, you see, for reasons I don’t even remember, I had, until last weekend, never attended a production of Lost Nation Theater. There, go ahead and leer, laugh, snicker and snipe all you want. Its okay. I actually feel a bit better now.

As I mentioned, I’m not at all sure why, in all these years of living here in Central Vermont, that I never before got to Lost Nation. My wife and daughters have attended a number of plays there; my number was zero. Likely, in most cases, I was usually unusually tired, after battling the evils of the world all week, protecting and providing all the world’s necessary protections and provisions for my family, along with performing the duty of sharing un-paralleled wisdom here with you, and just couldn’t go out for an evening play. Such is the life of a self-sacrificing husband, father, grandfather, author, English teacher, and all-around overly-modest and self-deprecating, (if culture-denied) guy.

Now, joyfully, the culture-drought that had pervaded my life for several years has been, finally, ended! My thirst of mind, spirit, and bone-dry humor have all been quenched by Lorna’s and my experience at this great little local theater, two Sunday evenings ago. The evening out had been a birthday present to my wife. She is getting along in years, and it is always good to accommodate the wishes of one in her situation, whenever possible. It is even better if doing so brings a great experience to the present-giver, also. (That would be me.) Just as sharing a great meal at a fine restaurant in celebration of a birthday is as much a gift to the giver as to the give-ee… (That can’t be a word.) so also, sharing a great play in celebration blesses the giver, too. In these cases, payback is always fun for both. (My birthday is next month.)

The play Sunday evening at Lost Nation was ‘Moonlight and Magnolias.’ Flawlessly acted by Dan Renkin, Bob Nuner, Maura O’Brien, and Shawn Sturdevant, and directed by Tara Lee Downs, the performance was a simply joyous escape into Hollywood’s past. The comedy was hilarious; the characters were captivating. Bravo, Lost Nation Theater!

I began this column with a confession. I end it with an admonition. I highly recommend, if you have never found your way to the thoughtful theater that is Lost Nation, that you do so, and soon. (Remember, my birthday is just next month.) Nestled in the heart of downtown Montpelier, and tucked away, coyly, upstairs in our capital city’s City Hall, you will find music, mystery, satire and comedy, all presented, quite brilliantly, in a diminutive house of absolute theatrical magic.

Lost Nation Theater is a treasure! I’m glad I finally found it.

1 comment:

Rene Yoshi said...

I... uh... have never been either. Heh heh... Guess I'll have to go, huh?

Bravo on the column! :)