Thursday, February 24, 2011

Out of Wood


By G. E. Shuman

I’ve often read of the ‘olden days’
And the ways people lived ‘back when’;
Of horses and buggies, of wagons and sleighs
And of trust and honor in men.

Life was a tough and trying test
That helped people do more good.
As if, when there’s less, men become their best
And rise to the place that they should.

The few things folks had were made to last
And were fixed, when they broke, not just thrown.
Most things were of wood, hand-carved, nailed fast;
Not the plastic-y junk that we own.

The men were strong, and worked all their lives
So proud, to toil, to succeed.
The women were treasured as mothers and wives
And the family cherished, indeed.

The big family Bible was opened, and shared
Round the stove in the parlor each night,
In the old rugged home, filled with folks who cared
For each other, with all of their might.

Sometimes I think I’m alive too late;
That my days would have been better spent
Born in time long past, on a simpler date
When everyone said what they meant.

Life was slower, back in those days of old
When each person helped out where they could.
The men were of steel, the women were gold
And things were made out of wood.

3 comments:

Rene Yoshi said...

Me too! Sometimes I feel like I should've been born in years past. But then again, I stop and realize I probably would've been treated differently because of my ethnicity... and I also believe God put me here in this time for a reason. But I agree. I wish in this generation men could still be men... good men, and women were more like ladies.

G. E. Shuman said...

Thanks Sweets.
I just began re-reading the poem, and stopped at the title. I hope people don't think it meant that I was out of firewood...lol. Anyway, maybe that will get them to read it. On the issue of ethnicity, you could be right, and think how difficult it would be for me, with my adopted kids. Actually, I would never have been able to adopt kids of a different race at all.
I do also believe that we are where we are, when we are, for a reason. I, as you, just wish people were more like they were in the past.

G. E. Shuman said...

One more comment, Sweets. Men still CAN be men... and women can be ladies. Our society just doesn't value virtue much anymore... and such things drift further and further away from each succeeding, untaught generation. Sad.