Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Holidays, 'Holy" Days

By G. E. Shuman

Easter, passed
With eggs and sweets;
Baskets, bunnies
Yummy treats.
No time saved
By most, to pray
On Easter-
Resurrection Day!

Months fly by,
Cool fall, Thanksgiving
Laden tables
Feast bowls, brimming
Bellies full
Sit and stew
No one
To be thankful to

Christmas Day
Snow and lights
One more chance;
Get it right.
Present wrappings
Ripped this morn’
Few recall that
Christ was born!

Sunday,
Weekly holy day
Lost to most,
Each in his way:
Working, shopping
Planning Monday
While forgetting
Holy Sunday

Something’s missing
In your middle.
Sinking feeling…
Just a little
Days have meanings,
Not just moods.
Need to place
Your gratitude

Bunnies, turkeys
Gifts, in splendor
Misguide minds
To not remember.
Grateful hearts
Still seek God’s ways.
With no ‘holy’
…They’re just days.

2 comments:

Rene Yoshi said...

Excellent prose! I like how you arranged it with very short, broken lines. It gives it a feeling of hurriedness... and smallness. I especially like the last two lines. So true... *sigh*

G. E. Shuman said...

Thank you Sweets.
This type of poetry uses the fewest possible words to express an idea. When I write this way,I,well, cheat... sort of. I write more complete sentences, and then remove any words that are unnecessary to the basic thought I'm trying to relate. I like the concept of saying a lot, in few words. The trick, then, is to still have some type of rhythm, and rhyme, if you want those things. I'm glad you liked it, my friend. George