Saturday, December 5, 2009

The Challenge

By G. E. Shuman

A noble challenge was recently given to me, in the form of a simple suggestion from a dear friend. This suggestion was one of those special and rare ideas that, likely because of their simplicity, plant themselves deep within the mind. Ever since I first heard of the challenging suggestion I have not been able to completely forget it, or completely accomplish it, either.

It seems to me that, sometimes, the seemingly uncomplicated challenges of life are often the most difficult ones to accomplish. Many people have great difficulty in even vocalizing the words “I love you.” Others have terrible trouble with ever saying those two little words “I’m sorry.” Yes, moral challenges, no matter how simple, can often get the better of us. Their piercing clarity and purpose can be quite frightening to people as accustomed to hiding feelings as we modern Americans often are. No one wants to be exposed or intimidated by admissions of imperfection within, even if such would nudge us toward being a better person, or a better friend.

Before I lose you to slumber over reading more rhetoric, let me tell you that the idea, the suggestion which became a challenge, is on the subject of complaining. I will also say that this week I shared the challenge with every student in the high school English classes I teach. Next I will ask those students if any of them are up to the challenge. It is my sincere hope that some of them are, and that some of you are, also.

The great and mystical challenge I have alluded to here was made to me and to the rest of the congregation of my church, Bible Baptist, of Berlin Vt. It was the evening before Thanksgiving Day, and our very wise Pastor Lake admonished us to accept the challenge of a ‘fast’… a fast of complaining. He asked us to not complain, between Thanksgiving Day this year and Christmas Day… about anything. That’s right… anything. Hum… cut out complaining, huh? Yes, that is a simple idea. In fact, it could even be said to be beautiful in its simplicity. “I can do that.” I thought to myself upon hearing of the challenge. “Anyone can do that. It’s only a month ‘til Christmas. I can certainly refrain from griping about the price of gasoline, and the weather, and family members, and money, and politics, and… You know, I can hardly believe that there are people who just have to be negative and complain about things all the time. But there are! If people weren’t so self-centered we wouldn’t even need challenges like this!” Suddenly I realized that, not only was I already breaking the non-complaining challenge in my thoughts, I was actually mentally complaining about the challenge itself.

Thank you, Pastor Lake, for an idea that you say is not your own, but one I consider to be a spark of simple brilliance. I admit to already failing in my efforts to stop complaining, although I am still trying. I have been blessed with everything, when most of the world has nothing. I certainly have very little to complain about. My hope is that this transparent admission and realization will be enough to improve my outlook, increase my thankfulness, and generate more gratitude in my life.

Dear Readers, there are only about two weeks left until Christmas Day. I would like to suggest that you also take up the challenge… to not complain, about anything. Come on, it’s only two weeks. Get this simply beautiful idea planted firmly in your mind. After all, wouldn’t it be wonderful to live for two whole weeks without a single complaint?

1 comment:

Rene Yoshi said...

I like to think of myself as being a fairly positive person, but fasting from complaining for a whole month is, indeed, a challenge. I've found that I complain far more than I would have considered or like.

I think there is a difference, though, between complaining and making an observation. I think there is a fine line, but I think the difference lies in our attitude and motivation, don't you?

Thank you, George, for being transparent, for passing along the challenge, and for encouraging us to count our blessings instead. :)